Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Caught doing 51 in a 30 yesterday. Clean licence, though

Customer Question

Caught doing 51 in a 30 yesterday. Clean licence, though still shows 3 points from April 2013. Likely penalty?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.

How were you caught?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 months ago.

If you were doing in excess of 51 mph you would face an instant ban.

http://www.drivingban.co.uk/drivingban/speedingoffences/drivingbanspeedingoffences.htm

you might be able to plead exceptional hardship if that were the case but it’s hardship for others not for you because any disqualification is intended to cause hardship for the culprit.

You may also be able to plead special reasons if example you were rushing someone to hospital.

Fortunately, you are right on the threshold and therefore it is unlikely that you would get a disqualification.

It could be dealt with by way of fixed penalty which would be £100 and three points although because of the speed, they may decide to refer it to the court in which case it still likely to be three points but a slightly higher fine.

I think your main concern is disqualification and hence, as you read from the link above, it’s unlikely.

Does that answer the question?

Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer positively. If you don’t rate it positively, then I don’t get paid.

You may get the impression that the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards.

Stuart