Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Are the variable speed limit cameras always on? Sorry, can

Customer Question

Hi, are the variable speed limit cameras always on?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here:
Customer: Sorry, can you help me?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: UK, is it still possible to get your help?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I'm just wondering if this is the case or not
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No, just need to know if variable speed limit cameras are always on or not
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

No, no camera is always on.

They are turn off for lots of reasons. Some are routine maintenance. Some are not ever functional. Some are malfunctioning for the reasons that technology does sometimes.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Generally speaking, average cameras are more likely to be efficient because there are larger number of cameras so there would need to be more than one defaulting but that does happen sometimes.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No sorry not the average speed cameras. The variable speed cameras. Where they some times display a different speed limit. Are the cameras only active when there speed is different?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Do you mean the gantry signs?

If so, they are not usually cameras. They are just warning speed limits signs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah the signs. They have the signs with speed cameras on as well though?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like this picture here
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Those are average speed cameras but they do not detect the signs on the gantry. They detect those who are over 70 mph as that is the national speed limit.

The gantry signs are advisory only rather than an instruction. That is why they are allowed to be variable

I suppose it is possible that they could argue that a person who is vastly over the speed limit in the gantry signs is driving without due care but they are not speeding unless they go over the national speed limit.

Gantry signs don't meet the criteria for a reduction the national speed limits.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
say for example I was going 85 and passed through one, would I get charged?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, you could if it was operative.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what are the chances of it being operative? Even if there was no speed limit displayed?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It doesn't matter whether there was a speed limit displayed. If there was none then national speed limits would apply.

Average cameras only work if you pass more than two as they measure the speed by the time it takes to travel between the two.