Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My car ( a range rover sport) was seized by the police

Customer Question

hi
my car ( a range rover sport) was seized by the police and i was kept in custody. on my release at the end of the case for which i was held on remand, i discovered the range rover has been transferred from the police pound to be auctioned because " i failed to retrieve it from the pound within 14days"
now apparently its been auctioned along with all my personal property in the car at the time i was stopped. is this legal?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
What was the allegation please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
driving without no insurance. But was held on remand for money laundering allegations which were later dropped.On my release impound claim it was kept for 28days without me claiming it so it was destroyed.Problem with them is I am not the registered keeper on the v5. The registered keeper should have received a letter which she never. They never wrote to her stating it was ready. We were under the impression it's part of the case and won't be released until after the case
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Why didn't you claim it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Because I was held in custody. Remanded. Also I wasn't told it was ready until the day I was released by which time it had been sent to auction
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Do they say it was sensed under PCCSA.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. Because I failed to reclaim it within 14days. But I was in custody.No letter was sent otherwise I would have asked a family member to reclaim it.To my understanding it was being held till the case was done.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
They are only under a duty to hold vehicles for fourteen days but they should inform the owner or the registered keeper. They can apply for an order to crush the vehicle although the reality is that they sell them at auction. Then they would not have to notify as the owner or possessor would have been notified at court. However, you would have been aware of that as the application would have been made in court. If yo uare saying they didn't notify at all then certainly there would be a claim. They will probably be saying they did notify though. The police do not lightly accept liability. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing you've said I don't already know. You just rephrased my question.Sorry nothing you've said is useful.Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
I am only able to tell you the law.All the best.