Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I was involved in a car accident on Friday in a parking lot.

Customer Question

I was involved in a car accident on Friday in a parking lot. I was assuming I would be the one to get a ticket because I was backing out and she went around me because she didn't want to wait and thought I would see her and stop. So I just told her since the damage wasn't too much to just go and get some estimates and we can setting without insurance. No one was hurt. She agreed. She wouldn't give me any insurance information, just her name and phone number. I am assuming she didn't have insurance and really don't have time for court and all of that so just decided to do it this way.I am now asking her to get me 3 different estimates and she is not agreeing to do this and wanting my insurance information. I honestly don't even think the accident is all my fault as she should have waited to go around. I even have a witness stating she should have waited because I was backing out first before she was coming down the aisle.What advice do you have for me please?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Are you asking if you are liable?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes and since she isn't cooperating can we just go ahead and call the police and have them decide who is at fault?or if we still decide to just do it on our own can I request that she gets 3 estimates so I can pay the lessor one? and she is asking for my insurance information, do I need to give that to her if we have decided to not go thru insurance and just pay for it on our own? Not sure why she is asking for my insurance information now.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
Have you reported this to your insurance company?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
It is nothing to do with the police. They will have no interest in the matter. You can make a report to your insurers. You should have reported immediatley but actually it was not that long ago so it might be that they will accept this.They are liable on your behalf so will deal with it for you.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We were just going to do it without insurance since deductibles would be more than the damage but she is wanting my insurance information. Do I have to give it to her? Can I request 3 estimates?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
If she is asking for your insurance details then there are offences in refusing to provide.Yes, you can ask for more estimates but she is entitled to ask for your insurance details.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have insurance but I don't want to go thru insurance because my rates will increase and the damage is very minimal. That is why I am not understanding why she needs my insurance information. I have no problem giving it to her but I don't want her to put a claim on it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.