Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

My name is ***** *****, I have received numerous letters

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** hall, I have received numerous letters from Civil Enforcement Limited regarding a parking fine, I have now received a letter today to say unless I pay them they are going to issue proceedings within 14 days. The supreme court judgement is between ParkingEye Limited v Beavis and it says they intend to rely on to support their claim. Should I pay this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is when parking at Wycombe Lido, Bassetbury Lane, High Wycombe HP11 1QX and there was no ticket on the dasg board. The council do not own the car park, it is a private firm which monitors it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

Are you prepared to risk being sued?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, not really
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

There is really a way to avoid the risk of being sued unless you pay in full.

There was a time when they almost never sued anybody but it is fair to say they are becoming more aggressive. There are lots of reasons for it but I think the main one is that they had the problem that the public had lost confidence in their fines and so they were ineffective. Subsequent to that there were some judgements in their favour. If you are not willing to risk being sued then you escape route is to pay in full. You could offer a lesser sum in full and final settlement which may save some money.

If you are willing to risk being sued then there is still a fairly good chance that they would not. They do not suit everybody whatever they say on the points.

If things get to court then they are harder to challenge that they were as the case of Beavis has effectively brought an end to the challenge that the fine is greater than their loss.

There are of course other challenges like adequacy of signs and assignment of the debt from private land fine to the debt collector.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no that's fine thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile