Kasare
Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
12488363

I need someone me advise about a car insurance claim

Customer Question

Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi I had a company hire car pending a company car becoming available. I drove the car on 7th October to a hotel in Peterborough and parked the car at 9am. We then had a 2 day team meeting so on returning to the car on 8th at around 4pm I noticed damage to the front bumper. I immediately reported this and a repair / replacement car was arranged. I wrote a statement at the time and suggested it was likely that another car had reversed or driven into the car to cause the damage.The insurance company have come back to say that damage is not consistent with explanation and referenced fraud!!Please can you advise me on the best response? As so much time has elapsed the hotel no longer have cctv footage of the car park. Why didn't the hotel immediately request the cctv footage at the time? Is road camera cctv acceptable so I could show me driving to the hotel with no damage but driving home with damage? How do insurance companies usually proceed now in these circumstances?Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi are you able to assist please? If not may you release my question for another expert to pick up? Thanks.
Expert:  Kasare replied 11 months ago.

The issue with insurance claims is that they are based not only on verbal evidence but a physical inspection. Obviously the mechanic or inspector for the insurance company has read your statement and disagrees with what you have suggested was the cause of the damage.

However, you need to contact the insurer and inform them that your statement only surmised what had happened to the vehicle whilst it was parked up. It was not confirming what actually happened. Tell them they can suggest what they wish but the fact is you attended a 2 day work conference, parked in the hotel car park and when you returned to your car the following day it was damaged. Inform them that you did not witness any accident and therefore cannot assist them further save that you expect the matter to be dealt with by them. If not, you - or the company you work for - will make a formal complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman about their handling of the matter.

Did anyone witness you and the state of the car prior to you leaving home? or perhaps you travelled with a colleague? someone who can attest to the state of the car prior to this accidental damage? If so, get their names and details and provide them to the insurer to contact.

I hope this assists, any further questions, please let me know.