Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I bought a car 08/12/15 @ 20.50 and drove home assuming I

Customer Question

I bought a car 08/12/15 @ 20.50 and drove home assuming I was covered 3rd party as I have insurance on my main car, I was than pulled over for no insurance and given a statement form to sign pending further investigation @ 08/12/15 @ 22.00, any advice.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe looking at my insurance doc's that I wasn't insured to drive a vehicle home after a purchase, is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Was there any way you could have known you weren't insured to drive home?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it would have been in the details on my car insurance, that I can only drive a car that was insured by someone else and I didn't own.I assumed that the current owner had insurance and didn't ask for confirmation, I believed that as he was the owner on the v5 that it would be ok, but as I now know the owner had cancelled his insurance. It was on the drive home I was stopped.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Ok. You can always plead guilty and ask the court to refrain from applying points on the basis that there are special reasons to do so.

That is a high test. Magistrates are difficult to predict. They should not allow that application if there is any way that you could have known that you were not insured and they should expect you to show that you had checked. However, I have seen Benches find special reasons apply on much lower grounds than that so it might pay off.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no thanks Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/