Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
30932268

I am about to recieve a court summons 67mph in a temporay

Customer Question

My name is Tim
I am about to recieve a court summons for speeding 67mph in a temporay 40mph zone by a fixed camera
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor based in London. I’ll be happy to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

What exactly would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alice,I believe there is a potential Ban or six points with this. My only mitigation is that I were having a what i thought were Angina or Heart attack (I have had a heart attack in 2007 & 2013 with further intervention.) As this were a medical emergancy i panicked in finding a place to stop saftely to use my GTN Spray or phone 999 - However there was nowhere to stop as the dualcarriageway was made into single traffic lanes.Okay will i have to attend court or by letter. Also will the above mitigation have any weight in avoiding a ban?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Tim you're absolutely right. For 67/40 mph the sentencing guideline is indeed 7 - 56 days disqualification or 6 points; the explanation you have given is no defence but it is mitigation although the value is somewhat diminished by the very high speed. Also if you make too much of an issue about the medical condition, DVLA may raise the issue of your fitness to hold a licence. I suggest you plead guilty, to get some discount on sentence and the financial penalty and ask the court to deal with the matter in U.S. absence. They will not disqualify in your absence but if the magistrates are thinking of disqualification they will fix a new date for you to attend and give reasons why you should not be disqualified.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - do you require any further assistance with this matter?