Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

A few months ago i parked at a motorway service station off

Customer Question

Hi
A few months ago i parked at a motorway service station off the M25 and used the cafe and shops etc and rested for a while. A couple of weeks later i received a Charge Notice from CP Plus telling me that i had exceeded the free parking period and i had to pay them £50.00. I did not reply to that letter nor to any others since, but have regularly since then, been sent further letters from them, now demanding £150.00 and this week am now being threatened with "notice of intended court action" by a company called DRP Debt Recovery Plus Ltd.
I was not aware of any time limit in the car park and nor was the car park busy at the time.
Should i pay this charge to get them off my back or should i ignore it ? They tell me that a court judgement against me could seriously affect my ability to obtain credit in the future.
Thank you
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you willing to risk being taken to court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It depends upon what i could expect to happen. I'm not disputing that i was there at the times indicated, more a case of me being unaware that i could be fined for parking there for more than a specific amount of time. There are plenty of motorway signs saying not to drive if feeling tired, and that was basically what i was doing. An early start to the day, came off the motorway to rest and have something to eat before setting off again. The service stations obviously don't want people leaving cars there for long periods of time and i understand that, but a 2 hour limit seems a bit unreasonable if drivers are indeed taking a short rest. Surely there should be clear and prominent signs. I would have been happy to pay for a parking ticket at the time if it had been obvious to do so, and i would still be happy to do so.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you willing to risk a CCJ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather not have a CCJ. What happens if taken to court ? What's the procedure ? What are they likely to say ? What are the repercussions of a CCJ ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, I realise that but are you willing to risk it?

Obviously I can't guarantee anything

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiYou say, am i willing to risk a CCJ, but i don't know what the risk is. If they say, were you parked there between those times, i'll say "i guess so", as the time on the photos tells what time i'm entering and leaving the service station (although not what time i was parked there) In which case, even though i feel hard done by and was not aware of needing a ticket etc i may be obliged to pay something. But would i need to pay the cost of the ticket plus some admin costs, or would i be obliged to pay the whole fine of what is now £150.00 and court costs etc ? ... and i suppose the question is, would a CCJ be labelled against me in any legal form and affect me in the future ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, you could have to go to court, you could lose, there may be costs in the region of a couple of hundred.

A CCJ is generally bad from a credit point of view although if you pay within 28 days of judgment then you can ask them to remove it from your credit file. But it does lead to hassle.