Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a question re a speeding ticket

Customer Question

I have a question re a speeding ticket
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. How can I help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I have a question re a speeding ticket I got for doing (allegedly) 40mph in a 30mph. The officers were using a hand held gun, so there is no video or photographic evidence. I was not shown the speed recorded on the gun (the officer says he showed
it to me but he didn`t). But what I think is the most important part is that I was told I would be reported and was given a Surrey Police Driver referral notice. This is printed on a hand held computer. In the part "Offences" it says Category Offence: Excess
speed 30mph, designated Road. Code;233, Recorded Speed (mph).....the officer has forgotten to fill this in. Surely this is a pretty big mistake. Can you help please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what your question is? I'm afraid that failing to fill this out is a non issue. It is nothing even remotely like a big mistake and will not even be considered by the court. Certainly it doesn't amount to a defence.

If you are hoping to escape liability on this basis then I cannot give you good news. Accept the fixed penalty. You will be convicted at court.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo