Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo. I'm awaiting news of my court summons today. I pleaded

Customer Question

Hi Jo. I'm awaiting news of my court summons today. I pleaded guilty by post ( doing 59 in a 50mph) I was not able to do the awareness course with starting a new job. I had moved house and could not supply my new licence in time. Although I spoke to a lady who assured me she'd put my case on hold and put a note on my file to say I was sending in my license as soon as it arrived. I had paid the fine, but then when I received my new license I also receive a court summons. I have sent a letter of mitigation and explained the situation,stating I had already paid the £100 fine. I am in financial difficulties with a debt consolidation Plan with stepchange (I sent evidence) so I'm hoping I won't face a hefty fine? What do you think? Thanks.
P.s this is my first speeding offence in nearly 10 years of driving
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking what sentence you will get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have they refunded the £100?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't believe so...
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They should do that sooner rather than later.

If you are lucky you will get a Bench that just gives you 3 points and a fine of £85 and the surcharge of £15 so you will be dealt with as though you had the fixed penalty anyway.

If you are unlucky then you will get 3 points, a fine of 75-125% of your weekly income, costs of £85, the court charge of £180 and the surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine which will be used to give to organisations which masquerade as charities whilst campaigning politically upon twaddle that should not be taking up the time of the courts.

They will give you time to pay though but unfortunately this is priority debt so it doesn't matter whether you are in debt crisis or not I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo