Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am being accused and harassed a car in my apartment

Customer Question

I am being accused and harassed for hitting a car in my apartment complex and now threatened with a police report. My car is uninsured so I am insuring immediately as I will probably have to deal with the police. What should I do?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not trying to achieve anything. I wanted to know where this could go if he made a police report about being hit with no proof.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, he could. That is the basis of our system. People make reports and their statement is evidence. Obviously unless he says he saw you hit the car or there is some other compelling evidence like comparable damage the chances of being charged for anything arising are not high. You do need to sort out insurance for other reasons but they may pick up on the fact that you weren't insured at the time. Can I claridy anything for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has said he saw me hit him but then has also said the way he knew was that my bumper had evidence of it hitting his car i.e my car is used and has plenty of scratches and small knicks all across it. I feel as if his vehicle wasn't even hit in the complex and that he is attempting to say he witnessed me hit the vehicle because I have preexisting scratches and park next to him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you deny hitting him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do deny hitting him because i did not hit him
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Why is he lying? People do sometimes but why in this case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My best guess is that he often parks illegally in the complex and that someone may have hit his car and drove off. My car is conveniently near his every day and has marks from wear and tear of a previous owner so I would seem the likely suspect though I believe someone accidentally hit his car and drove off.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, if you deny that anything took place then that is the account you will have to offer. People do lie sometimes. If he is saying that he saw you do it though then it is not really possible to run this on the basis of mistake. Either it happened or it did not.