Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo Just come off motorway, i was doing in excess of 100mph i

Customer Question

Hi Jo
Just come off motorway, i was doing in excess of 100mph i noticed a BMW in my mirrors, when i turned off the motorway he followed. i carried on to next slip road amd imdicated he couldnt because of traffic and sped up i moticed him talking in his radio. And he turned off my slip road as fuel was low i carried on but he did see me indicate to go off. I would not try to evade the police as its a firms vehicle and they would catch up with me anyway. Is it likely he radiod in to issue ticket/summons without pulling me over? Is it instant ban over 100. Thks B
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. This was 70mph? Not a reduced section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was normal 70mph motorway
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other points?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clean license
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If this is a 100 mph spot on in a 70 mph zone then it would only attract between 4 -6 points or a short ban of between 7 - 28 days. They wouldn't normally ban immediately but it is at the higher end of the bracket so I would brace yourself for 6 points.

There would also be a fine of between 75 - 125% of your weekly income, costs of £85, a court charge of £180 and the victim surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine which will be used to encourage more attention seekers to report nonsense in the hope of getting compensation.

A ban is very unlikely.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed then he didnt radio an NIP. My original Q was is this possible or do they pull you over?
When you say 75-125% of my weekly salary is that net or grossCheers
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Net. It is your disposable income. I would have expected him to stop you but it is possible that they could send a NIP out by post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last Q does it have to be measured over a particular distance.Many thks for your helpB
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It depends how it is measured. If this was a VASCAR device then it can be done over a very short distance. If it was measured by reference to his own speedometre then there does need to be a distance but only sufficient for him to be able to say that he travelled behind you and neither gained upon you or lost you whilst noticing his own speed was X. Although that does not take long.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thks jo, will concentrate more in future. B
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.