Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am being t gbp court case brought by Hampson Huges motor

Customer Question

I am being hit for 11500 gbp for a court case brought by Hampson Huges for a motor Vehicle acceiden in 2010, i was not in the vheicle which they knew once i realised what i was doing was wrong and pulled out i am now being hit with all these costs from the 3rd party insusre
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am being charges 11500 for stopping a no win no fee claim
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
what is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this legal, i pulled out of the case before going to court as i was aware that i had been courted by Hampson HUges to do this case and even though i advised them i was not in the vehicle they still told me to continue, it got so far and then i said i was unhappy about it so pulled out, now the defendant insurer has hit me for 11500 charges for pulling out? What can I do? I am was unaware of any thing like these charges
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that you didnt go to court?
Even though you were being sued?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didnt know i was being taken to court? The last thing i did was tell the no Fee no win company i wanted to pull out, no one then contacted me to go to court
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did the contract allow you to pull out?
I imagine they are pursuing youFor their costs for their costs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks like that but the first i knew were bailliffs at my door? What do i need to do to fight this, do i go back to Hampson Hughes and ask for copies of the CFA?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. Please forget all of that. It is nonsense from the internet.
Does the contract allow you to pull out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont have copies of the contract? thats my problem thats why i need to know if i contact hampson hughes do they need to supply me with all the copies
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
To be honest, that type of thing tends not to get anywhere. I know the Internet is full of nonsense about how people can escape liability for their debts but it is completely without basis usually.
This isn't a credit agreement. This is a contract. Almost certainly they are usually to pay their costs if you withdrew. They are not under a duty to provide you with the agreement under the CFA because they are not regulated by the CFA. However they probably will provide you with a copy request it.
In the meantime though you need to deal with the bailiffs. If you never received a summons then you can ask the court to set judgement aside on the basis that you didn't receive a court summons. One difficulty with you may have is that the court may say that you don't have a defence and so it is pointless but you could argue that you intend to make attempts to settle and that there have been no effective debt collection which sometimes works.
In the meantime you should have received a copy of the contract or at least reference to the clause they rely upon and you can ascertain whether or not you actually are liable or whether the liability can be reduced.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The difficulty is i moved. I told the No win no fee company i wanted to not continue with a fraudulent case? But i have no copies of any documents that i signed? Surely someone has to supply me with all documents signed by me relating to this incident, To clarify the No win No fee company acted in my opinion in a fraudulent manner and i went along with that, until my conscious get the better of me, now for being honest i am being left with debt of 11500 gbp
so i need youi to advise me what i do from now - what should my actions be to fight this? I
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that is a problem if you didn't give them your address.
It doesn't really matter whether the agreement is signed or not anyway. You accept agreeing.
I'm afraid that you are going to struggle to fight this unless, of course, the contract does not allow them to claim costs.
It is probably a good idea to check that but if that fails then apply to pay in instalments as you are liable I'm afraid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you confirm for me that i will only pay £22.00 for this advice and no more? also that i dont have to cancel anything this is a one of charges
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You need to contact customer services about that on***@******.***