Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My ex-partner who is the registered keeper and owner of

Customer Question

Hi, My ex-partner who is the registered keeper and owner of a car I use, has keys for the car. Keeps giving my details for parking offences that are not mine. Can I legally be persued for these if im nit the registerd keeper or owner. I have explained
this to different authourities yet they still harass me.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Do you know he is the registered keeper? Have you checked?The councils wouldn't write to you unless you were.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I checked my ex keeps giving my details as a driver then he is the one who recieves v11reminders and passes blame to me every offence he gets.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
With council fines generally speaking they will pursue the keeper. There is some caselaw that has suggested that the keeper need not be the registered keeper but the person who actually has possession of the car. In that case, a car was in the possession of a garage at the time and they were responsible for the fine not the registered keeper. However, as a rule the council will only pursue the registered keeper. The DVLA and private land fines will pursue the actual driver. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this also apply to congestion charge fines as he's giving my details for those too
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Congestion charge fines do run against the driver not the registered keeper.They are the exceptions. Obviously you do have to be the driver.