Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I have just received an N.I.P within the 14 days notification

I have just received an N.I.P within the 14 days notification period. It says
Recorded speed was 36 mph or ) seconds after the red traffic signal was illuminated.

Can you tell me if I respond quickly, what is the likely outcome?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

On no account respond quickly.

Do you have any other points please and if so from when?

Also, how long ago did you pass your test roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I shall be 66 next year and have had a licence since I was eighteen years old. No convictions or accidents. Currently clean license.

Does is say how many seconds after the light turned red you are said to have travelled across it please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. exactly what it reads is:

recorded speed was 36 mph OR 0 seconds after the red traffic signal was illuminated.

Thanks for the information.

On no account respond quickly. Whatever happens as a result of this, responding quickly is doing the Crown's job for them. You have 28 days to respond by law. Do not respond until about day 21. They only have six months to lay an information before the Court. Responding quickly gives them longer than Parliament allowed for. It is important to respond in time but there's no obligation to respond early.

On this information, there isn't enough to charge you with driving without due care. Its not enough seconds over the light change to justify that. They will just charge you with a simple red light offence. That carries 3 points and a fine.

If I can presume that the speed limit was 30 mph then they may charge you with speeding as well but I wouldn't really expect it. At court you would get three points that would sit on your licence but they would run concurrently with the others because the offence was committed at the same time so there is no justification for two sets of points to be active on your licence.

They may well just let you take the red light awareness course anyway on the facts that you describe.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so very much - a great help. I shall respond as late as possible and get proof of postage as a back up!

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.