Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

My partner who is a named driver on my policy was invoveld

My partner who is a named driver on my policy was invoveld in a low velocity collision (under 5mph)and due to the other party claiming excessive compensation my insurance are investigating this accident.The agents of my insurance Co are requesting me to complete a indemnity statement. What is this statement? does it mean that I would be accepting financial responsibility for this accident?
PS Ihave fully comprehensive insurance
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Who is to blame for this accident please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi
My partner is to blame as she tapped the other in the rear.

J

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I am away from my desk at the moment. I have seen your reply and I will get back to you as soon as I have a keyboard in front of me. No need to reply to this post. Thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I don't like the sound of this and I am glad that you asked the
question.

What exactly does this statement say?

It sounds to me exactly like what you think it is which would be
normal if the driver who was at fault was not covered on your insurance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have the indemnity statement
We are not claiming for anything as my partner was not hurt in this incident and i have only a 2inch scratch on my front bumper.

In all our previous conversations via the telephone and email there was no mention of an indemnity statemt untill the following and last correspondace.

My insurance Co recent correspondence verbatim:

We note that there appears to be a breakdown of communications between yourself and our enquiry agent who recently attended upon you for the purpose of obtaining a statement in respect of the pre and post accident mechanics.

We also note that our enquiry agents requested some additional information. As standard, our enquiry agents provide an indemnity statement for the same time they provide the statement in respect of the pre and post accident mechanics. This is standard procedure.

We are unable to address the issues of a low velocity collision without a statement from yourself and take this opportunity to remind you of your obligation to co-operate in accordance with the terms and conditions of the policy of insurance.

We can confirm that we have reinstructed the xxxxxxx Group and have requested that an alternative agent contact you for the purpose of obtaining the statement.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

There is no problem whatsoever in providing a statement in
respect of the pre-and post accident mechanics (that is legal speak for the
circumstances surrounding the accident)

the thing that worries me is the word "indemnity"

it does actually say that the enquiry agents provide an indemnity
statement.

I think in all honesty they simply mean a statement but for some
strange reason known only to your insurance company, they have decided to call
it an indemnity statement.

Just make sure that anything you sign does not agree to pay
anything and does not admit to anything.

They can sometimes ask you to sign an indemnity statement if the
car has been modified and the modifications have contributed to the accident or
could have contributed to the accident in which case, you sign a statement to
say that you are responsible for the changes to the vehicle.

Let the agent come round and see what he is asking for. If in
doubt don't sign anything or let me have a copy and then I will advise you.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.

Regards.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the information.

I will let you know the outcome of the meeting. Ican at least; now put it to bed for the weekend.

excellent service and I would have no problems of engaging your services again.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.