Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

i have had a letter from debt recovery plus,ive also had tons

i have had a letter from debt recovery plus,ive also had tons of letters from parking eye which i have ignored,nothing has ever come of this in 4 years.are they likely to send in bailiffs,as my wife is getting very worried

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When did you receive the first parking charge notice?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4 years ago

I presume they don't have a CCJ against you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you admitted being the driver please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You mean you haven't ?

Its very important. Sorry to labour the point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good. This is a private land fine. They are unenforceable. This is not a parking fine however it may look. These companies are private firms that have no more right to punish you for the manner of your parking than your neighbour does. Only the police or the local Council can do that. These are issued on the basis that you have accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long. To make that work they would have to hang signs over almost every bay and anyway, they still cannot show loss.

All thats happening here is that they are sending you the standard debt collection letters. They will probably get Graham Whyte Solicitors to write to you as well.

They are suing now more than previously but if they haven't sued you in 4 years then its quite unlikely that they will do so now and, in any event, cannot identify the owner.

The Protection of Freedoms Act has come into force in England and Wales which makes the registered keeper liable for the cost of the fine if he does not name the driver within 28 days of the fine but I note you live in Scotland so it doesn't apply.

Can I clarify anything for you?