Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is this legal? I was on a road where 40mph limit changed to

Is this legal? I was on a road where 40mph limit changed to 60mph for half a mile then went to 30mph with no warning signs. I was caught in a mobile speed trap 100 metres after the 30mph sign doing 34mph. I think the 60mph half mile is dangerous and unneccessary, encouraging motorists to speed up and then have to reduce speed quickly.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What speed were you doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

34mph

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Were there street lights?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you ok?

Can you respond?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for delay. The incident happened at approx 10am so good daylight.

I want to know if it's legal to have 60mph for half a mile and then have speed trap so near to 30 mph signs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand that.

Could you give me the information I asked for so that I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes there are street lights but not on 'caus it was 10am in good weather conditions.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Please bear with me. I am on and off all day today. I will respond to your question as soon as possible. Thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Are you asking if you have a defence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Isn't it dangerous and unnecessary to have an increase to 60mph for only half a mile then dropping down to 30 with no warning 'count down' signs and setting up a speed trap within a 100 yards?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it may be. That is no defence I'm afraid.
If this is a 30 mph zone then there is no need for signs. A 30 mph zone is signed by a pattern of street lightin pg no less than 200 metres apart.
It is always possible to ask them to prove the lights were adequate.
However, you do not seem to challenge that.
I'm very sorry but thats your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Jo C Thanks. Is it legal to have a 60mph stretch for only half a mile?

Pam

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thats lawful.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.