Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

hi can i sue the council for extortion

Customer Question

hi can i sue the council for extortion
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what exactly do you need to know ?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I was hoping you could explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well as you probably know councils are known to give thousands of unfair tickets, on this particular case i am confident that what they claim is wrong . so they are asking me to pay a contravention which didn't occur !

if i can proof that they issued that ticket illegally and now they insist to get money out of it can i sue them for extortion?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but I think you probably already know the answer.

This not extortion. This is just an incorrectly issued fine. If so, there is an appeals procedure. If you use that you won't have to pay.

In any event, this is not extortion. They are issue fines as they are entitled to in law and at the rates that are imposed by Government. That is not extortion.

In any event, there isn't an offence of extortion in the UK. There is one in Scotland but not here. Extortion often comes within the offence of blackmail but the issue of a PNC does not amount to a demand for money with menaces I'm afraid.

That is not to say that they are not misbehaving. There is lots of evidence of them having targets for traffic wardens which is wrong. But its not extortion.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so isn't there any way to sue them , i didnt go to the apeal as they do not punish councils for giving unfair tickets , i would like to go to a different level to make council think better before they give a fine

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No, there isn't a way to sue them.

You have to contest the fine.