Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hello, We have today received a Court Claim from

Customer Question

Hello, We have today received a Court Claim from from Parking Eye Ltd Via The County Court Bulk Centre,4th Floor St Katharines House,21-27 St Katherines Street Northampton NN1 2LH Claim no. XXXXXXXX This is as a result of 2 parking fines being issued on private land earlier on this year. We did not pay the original fines as we were we informed that these companies can not enforce parking fines on private land and have spent the summer abroad. Parking Eye are claiming from us £100 also a court fee of £15.00 along with Solicitors costs of a further £50 giving a total of £165 this amount is times 2 as we have 2 claims against us as both my wife and myself were parked in this space. Could you advise us further of what if anything we can do to avoid having to pay a total of £330 !!! ASAP as there is a 14 day time limit. Also the claim has conveniently arrived today the 21st August and the letter states that the "Day of Service" is taken "5 days after the date of the issue date shown overleaf" ??? We wouldn't object to paying the original fine, but unfortunately due to having been out of the country for several months this situation has not come to our attention till today. Yours sincerely XXXXX XXXXX

Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you seen the information that I submitted urge other day? I have had no response??? I hope that this website is not a scam? I need an urgebpnz reply as there is a deadline in which to respond to this summons/ fine. Could you please get back to me ASAP ! Paul XXXXX

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
The reason you have had no response is that you haven't responded to my information request.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I speaking to a computer or something??? I have totally outlined the situation to you in previous correspondence.

What more do you need to know?

Please be more specific!!!

And please respond to my email address which [email protected]

Yours sincerely,

Paul Oates
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I cannot really be any more specific. I need to know what you want to know about this? I'm afraid I cannot think of a way of making that any clearer.

We cannot have correspondence outside of this site.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Jo, As previously stated we received the court notices mentioned in previous correspondence. What I need to know is- A.are they genuine and legitimate, as we were parked on private land? B. the total with solicitors fees etc amounts to almost £500! The actual fines are £300! Which is exhorbitant. Can they insist that we pay the full amount or just the fines or do we legally have to pay them at all? I have today posted the forms back to Parking Eye for their reconsideration. They are based in Chorley in Lancashire. Thank you Paul xxxx

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

On your specific points.

A. Yes. The claim is legitimate. Private land fines were always legitimate but hard to enforce. That doesn't mean there isn't a claim that can be brought.

B. it is quite difficult to see how it could have risen that high. They have a claim for the sum of their loss arising from your parking, the costs of issuing plus fixed costs of £50 or thereabouts in solicitors fees. Unless they are going to try to argue they should be entitled to their actual costs for vexatious or unreasonable behaviour which is unlikely they are not going to get any more than that.

Can I help further?