How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 68193
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I get penalty under offence code 801 ( No insurance) I

Customer Question

I get penalty under offence code 801 ( No insurance)
I was driving my personal car and police stop me for talking on phone.
When officer ask me where i'm going I told to see my work. ( i'm a builder and driving my van in works) I was driving only this day,
On this day (morning) I return van from rental company because my one needs to have breaking pads replaced and drive my personal car.
On evening I have euro tunnel booked because I should go for holiday with this car.
Police stop me give penalty and take car to pond.

What options I have to not receive points and penalty.

Thanks Michal
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Were you insured please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


eco insurance


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Are they saying that you used this car for a different purpose than the one for which you are insured?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Insurance saying use only for personal, social & domestic.
there are options but in exclusions saying business use.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Were you using it for business use?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Officer told me if i'm on the way to site this is business use and this should be covered under business insurance and basis on this he stop my car. normally i'm driving my van.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Do you travel to one fixed place of work?

Does your insurance cover that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Normally i'm using van and have business insurance.


That day I was return rented van on morning and sit in my personal car because i was going on holiday on evening.


if you asking for private car.


I'm not driving my personal car for business use.

My insurance on private car not covering driving to work even fixed.





Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
OK. There's no way around that then! They are saying that you put the vehicle to a different purpose than if was insured for and you seem to accept that.

You can always write to CPS asking them to review the public interest of this prosecution. Its free to do that and worth a try.

Failing that though, you don't have any options really than to plead guilty. Normally you could argue special reasons apply and so, although you would have to plead, points should not be added. However, here special reasons don't really. You just plain made a decision that was out of character on one occasion.

They have impounded the car for no insurance. They will almost certainly return it if you show that you are licensed and insured to drive it away. They do not have to do that but they will.

Can I clarify anything for you?


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Buachaill



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H


    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm.