Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hello I get penalty under offence code 801 ( No insurance) I

Customer Question

I get penalty under offence code 801 ( No insurance)
I was driving my personal car and police stop me for talking on phone.
When officer ask me where i'm going I told to see my work. ( i'm a builder and driving my van in works) I was driving only this day,
On this day (morning) I return van from rental company because my one needs to have breaking pads replaced and drive my personal car.
On evening I have euro tunnel booked because I should go for holiday with this car.
Police stop me give penalty and take car to pond.

What options I have to not receive points and penalty.

Thanks Michal
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Were you insured please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

eco insurance

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Are they saying that you used this car for a different purpose than the one for which you are insured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Insurance saying use only for personal, social & domestic.
there are options but in exclusions saying business use.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Were you using it for business use?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Officer told me if i'm on the way to site this is business use and this should be covered under business insurance and basis on this he stop my car. normally i'm driving my van.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Do you travel to one fixed place of work?

Does your insurance cover that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Normally i'm using van and have business insurance.

That day I was return rented van on morning and sit in my personal car because i was going on holiday on evening.

if you asking for private car.

I'm not driving my personal car for business use.

My insurance on private car not covering driving to work even fixed.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
OK. There's no way around that then! They are saying that you put the vehicle to a different purpose than if was insured for and you seem to accept that.

You can always write to CPS asking them to review the public interest of this prosecution. Its free to do that and worth a try.

Failing that though, you don't have any options really than to plead guilty. Normally you could argue special reasons apply and so, although you would have to plead, points should not be added. However, here special reasons don't really. You just plain made a decision that was out of character on one occasion.

They have impounded the car for no insurance. They will almost certainly return it if you show that you are licensed and insured to drive it away. They do not have to do that but they will.

Can I clarify anything for you?