Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello, I was caught speeding at 101mph on the m180 today at

Hello, I was caught speeding at 101mph on the m180 today at 11:20am (20/08/13) there was little traffic around me and the conditions good. I am not excusing the speeding other than the fact that I just found out my three year old had just had a fit and I was trying to get home to see him. I am currently an unemployed mature student with a vectra 1.9 diesel. I will be pleading guilty to the offence, I was just wondering what the punishment might be as I need the car to shuttle my child around and get to uni when it starts again in September. thanks.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Were you caught by a speed camera?
Hi

Have you got any existing speeding offences?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was stopped by a very nice officer with a radar gun. I have no previous offences

Thanks.

How long have you been driving please? When did you pass your test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I passed my test in September 2006

Thanks.

If this is a laser gun then realistically it will be hard to challenge the speed which is a shame because its just in the higher bracket.

For a person doing 101 mph in a 70 mph zone the guidelines say 6 points or a short ban of between 7-56 days. You will not be banned. You will get 6 points. There is no justification for an immediate ban.

There will also be a fine of between 75-125% of your weekly income, costs of £85 and the victim surcharge of £35 or thereabouts.

Since you passed more than 2 years ago, 6 points will not lead to revocation under the new drivers scheme.

You don't have other points so you are not vulnerable to disqualification as a totter.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo