Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi. I have received 3 penalty points and £180 fine for a

Hi. I have received 3 penalty points and £180 fine for a defective tyre and mot. The car which belongs to my dad was due for Mot three days after I was stopped by the police. I did not realise that I could not drive while waiting for mot. I am worried as I only passedy test right months ago. Should I appeal?   Note this is in Northern Ireland 

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Were you fined at the Magistrates Court or did you pay a fixed penalty?

What are you hoping to achieve on appeal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Stopped by police officer on Thursday who issued this. He took licence to get the penalty points put on them. Three penalty points for defective tyre. Outcome - to attend a traffic course as an alternative to three penalty points as six is the max for losing licence
I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but what traffic course is he suggesting you do? For no MOT and vehicle defects?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I was answering your question - what I wanted to achieve through appeal ie attending a course rather than receive points on new licence
I see.

I am sorry but its bad news then. These are offences that cannot be dealt with by means of a course. Courses are only available for red light offences or speeding.

Vehicle defect matters can be dealt with by fixed penalty of 3 points and a fine but no MOT is a fine alone.

If you want to contest this then you just refuse to pay the fine and take the matter to court but its a really bad idea here. The only chance you have is that they will forget to summons you which does sometimes happen but its obviously a risk.

If you go to court you will be convicted as you have no defence. The points will still be the same but the financial penalty will be a lot higher.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news but I can only give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?