Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hello I have gone passed a mobile police camera van at an

I have gone passed a mobile police camera van at an alleged 85mph, on a dual carriageway. The van was parked in a lay by which is really close to the road. Can I claim that the accuracy of the camera is compromised by passing traffic causing turbulence and rocking the van which would result in false readings

Jomo1972 : HiThank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Well is it possible to get this case dropped

Jomo1972 :

Were you speeding?

Customer: Maybe just a little

I have converted this to q and a as its easier to correspond.

On your specific point, its always possible to put the crown to proof on any allegation. Usually you ask them to establish that the location and manner of operation of the camera would lead to a reliable reading.

You should be aware though that the chances that they cannot do so are not high. The ACPO guidelines are just guidelines rather than law. Even if they are at variance it doesn't mean that the reading is not reliable.

They will not give you a higher number of points at court but the risk is that they will make a costs order against you if you lose a contested trial which could be a nasty shock I'm afraid.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news

Can I clarify anything for you?