Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi could you please tell me if i will recieve a nip if i was

Hi could you please tell me if i will recieve a nip if i was doing 55mph on a dual carriage way in an hgv
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
why do you think that you're likely to get a NIP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because i was doing 55-56 on a dual carriageway in an hgv.....ive read am allowed 10% + 2....just need to make sure
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
have you been flashed or stopped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it was a mobile speed van on an over bridge
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I have been asked to look at this as I'm a traffic specialist.

I just need 10 mins to read over this if thats ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes ok no problem
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for the time.

Its a little more complicated but its unlikely that you would hear anything about this.

Its not quite right to say that there is a legal tolerance but most speed cameras are set to a higher speed to avoid minor breaches and to allow for the variations of device.

Normally its 10% plus 2 mph so you are just within it.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thnx for the answer....its just that my sat nav said i was doing 55-56 mph at the time so i think that this is what i was clocked at...
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, sat navs are not the most reliable detection device either but its probably borderline.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for jomo1972
So in your oppinion....i will be ok because it was below 57mph
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it depends whether or not you actually were below 57moh. Sat navs are not the best means of detecting speed.

However, if it was below 57mph in fact then its unlikely that to be captured by a GASTO.

The only issue here actually is that the GATSO is probably set for 60 p,us because that would be the road speed but for your type of vehicle its 50 mph. That is the only way this is likely to come to light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for jomo1972 ... i thought the a38 in staffs is 70mph for cars vans under 3.5 t......so thnx for ur advice i think i should b ok
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If its a dual carriageway then it will be 70 for cars and 60 for vans

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.