Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I received a TT99 in June 2010 for totting. The background

Customer Question

I received a TT99 in June 2010 for totting.

The background is, I had 6 points (two previous offences from 2007/08), I then moved hosue and was caught my a speed camera. I never received this notice as it had gone to my previous address.

After finding out I was being chased, I went to Leeds Magistrates Court and made a statutory declaration confirming I had moved house and had never received the penalty notice.

A couple of months later, I attended a hearing at Sheffield Magistrates Court (June 2010) and they upheld the decision impose not only the additional 3 points (which would've taken me to 9) but a further 3 for ignoring the notice, which resulted in a ban via TT99.

I am in a position now where my conviction was in June 2010 and will remain until June 2014 on my licence and will need to be disclosed until June 2015, when the date of my last offence was around February 2008 and would otherwise have aleady been removed.

Do I have a case here, considering I feel I should have only been given a further 3 points and not 6?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

So your statutory declaration failed?

Do you know why?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I eventually ended up at Sheffield Magistrates they asked if I had redirect on my mail - I didn't, owing to the fact that my bills/bank statements etc are all email based. They said that I should have put things in place to ensure that my mail was redirected to my new address and applied 6 points (rather than the standard 3). This pushed me to 12 points rather than the anticipated 9, which wouldn't have resulted in a ban.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
She went offline
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
She went offline
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
I have emailed your expert. She will be back shortly.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Sorry for the delay.

Im noisier what you we hoping to do about this? You were prosecuted for failing to identify and you seem to accept not doing so.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
The above should have read NOT SURE what you were hoping to do