Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I was caught on a camera for an alleged speeding offence, recorded

Customer Question

on 15 May, 2013. I deliver vehicles and the car is owned by a hire firm.
The date printed on my NIP is 22 June, 2013. Clearly over 14 days.
It was received by my employers the following week.

I sent a letter to the officer and rejected the NIP as time barred. Also I did not send the P22 form back stating I was the driver and giving my address etc

I then received a letter from the officer saying the NIP was issued on the 16 May, 2013 and that is was an offence not to return the P22

I have no correspondence dated 16 May, 2013.
What should I do? Return the P22?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why do you think this is time barred?

You are not the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Time barred means the NIP has to be issued no more than 14 days after the the date of the alleged offence right?

I was not the registered keeper but the NIP was dated ie generated by the police on the 22 June. Over a month form the time of the offence

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am sorry but its bad news.

Unfortunately the rules are that they must send out a NIP on a date that would by ordinary post reach the registered keeper within fourteen days. When it reaches the actual driver is a non issue.

Since you are not the registered keeper you do not have that protection. The police will have sent the original NIP to the keeper probably within fourteen days and they replied naming you as the driver. Sadly they are still in time.

Obviously you could wait to see if they remember to summons you. They do quite often forget and if they do you will walk away within nothing.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The NIP was dated 22 June.

The registered keeper did not receive the NIP until late June.

The offence was 15 May.

Does the fact that the cover letter and NIP were dated after the 14 day period not nul the NIP. I nor the registered keeper have received any documentation dated witthin the 14 day period.

I understand that if it is issued within 14 days it doesn't matter how long it takes to be received by the owner/driver or in this case Registered keeper.

But the fact I am having a problem with is the NIP was dated (which surely means issued?) 22 June.

That's before even posting it.

More than 14 days after the alleged offence??

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No, it wasn't.

It was sent out to the registered keeper in May. The registered keeper must have got that otherwise the police couldn't have identified you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How could it have been sent out in May if the NIP was dated as 22 June?

The police phoned the office to identify the driver approx 2 weeks after 15 May. That is the only contact they made

They did not send a NIP prior to the one I have mentioned. No letters were received by my office prior to the letter dated 23 June, 2013?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but the police never phone the registered keeper to get the driver's details.

It can only have been done by NIP which is clearly what they are saying.

The NIP sent to you in June will not be the original sent to the registered keeper as I said above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the basis that what I have told you is true what is your answer? The police rang my office. I have 3 witnesses to this including the lady who took the call. There has been NO other NIP sent to work. I have been assured of this

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Best of luck with this in court.

I will opt out for others for you.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
I have been asked to look at this for you. So you are saying that you work in the regd keepers office and there was no NIP recd by the co at all?
If that is the case, how did police know that you were driving? Because someone in yr office said that it was you?
What date was that? Is it registered in a call log?
Why did they ring 3x?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I checked yesterday. And Jomo was spot on in fairness.

When I asked again it turns out that it was head office who rang asking for my name not the police.

Although that is what I was told before the lady failed to mention that it was police VIA head office (who must have received the NIP).

Details are of course very important.

I spoke with the officer who thankfully was understanding. I was 2 months ago.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
To be frank, she is the best traffic expert we have.
It would appear that head office got the NIP No1, and rang for your details and passed them on by returning the form.
Can we assist further?