Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I did a speed awareness course last year and now have been

Customer Question

I did a speed awareness course last year and now have been caugjt doin 61mph in a 40 what will happen?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What was the date of your last speeding offence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Perhaps I can be clearer, do you have any actual points and what are the dates please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FORJOEMO1972
i have no points and the date i did the speed course i cant remember but it was about 12months ago
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.

If this is 61 mph in a 40 mph zone then the sentencing guidelines do say you are vulnerable to 4-6 points or a short ban.

The practical reality is that its likely to be 4 points but they does just technically exceed the fixed penalty arena.

That said, they might well offer you the fixed penalty. They can do that when it suits them. If they do, then take it without question.

If you are summonsed to court then it will be 4 or maybe 5 points plus a fine of between 75-125% of your weekly income, costs of £85 plus the surcharge of £35 or thereabouts.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo