Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

i cannot believe this i literally had hardly any petrol in

i cannot believe this i literally had hardly any petrol in the car so i had to go to the cash machine and there was no parking space so i took it onto the curb on a zig zag line i had passengers in the car also and while i was waiting in the que all i see is a police car pull over to my car and give me a 60 pound fine and 3 point on my licence it is my first ever offence i accept the fine but really points? i was expecting a warning at the most.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I'm afraid I cannot give you any good news really. If you parked on a zig zag line then that is suitable for a fixed penalty fine but the FPN does include 3 points. You cannot have the fine without the points.

It is within an officers discretion to warn you instead but obviously you met with an officer who takes a dim view of parking on zig zag lines or, of course, just plain has nothing better to do. Unfortunately wherever an officer has discretion he is also free to exercise it against you.

Whether it is harsh or not though, the fact remains there is an FPN and if you refuse it then you risk a summons to court with much higher financial penalties.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im only 18 so how much would my insurance go up by, i have a tracker on my car (black box insurance)

I'm not an insurance specialist but you will have to declare the points and that will rack up the insurance by a sum in the region of hundreds rather than thousands.