UK Traffic Law
Ask an UK Traffic Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Our church minibus was clamped on Monday morning by Newlyn baliffs for a charge we had no knowledge of (from Waltham Forest Council) that had happened in January. The minibus is registered to the church at a PO box address which is checked regularly but nothing relating to this PCN has been received. This is the 2nd or 3rd time we have been in this position this year, as none have been as a result of physical tickets.
After investigation with the council and TEC, and despite advising that an out of time request would be filed the following day as the TEC was closed, the minibus was towed away. The out of time was submitted successfully the following morning (Tuesday), and action has now been held. We use the minibus for our Sunday school pickups and for those who have difficulty getting to and from church. How can we have it released in order to utilise it on Sunday? The council say to speak to the baliffs, and the baliffs are demanding full payment and then we can try and get a refund 'in some way' if our request is upheld. I'm not happy that this is the case.
I would like to know if there is a way to negotiate for us to have the van released today or tomorrow without payment pending the outcome of the court decision. This is because we need it on Sunday for collecting our Sunday school children and those less able to attend independently.
If there is not a way to do this without payment, how can it firstly be as minimal as possible (as the baliffs fee has now risen to £873.04 as it has been impounded) or how do we ensure a simple refund process if the decision is in our favour?
Someone on the Newlyn office team mentioned something along the lines of us attending the impound with the completed statutory declaration in order to release the vehicle. I did not fully understand or note the process but subsequent conversations indicate they will accept nothing but full payment to release the vehicle.
I need your advice on how best to proceed.
yes the minibus us registered at a PO Box with DVLA
I would rather not respond with a negative / poor service response but I don't know what other option I have.
I thought the initial question illustrated that the Out Of Time was submitted already, the following day, i.e. Tuesday.
The question relates to the fact that now that the out of time is registered with the council and baliff, what can be done to have the vehicle released or what guarantee is there of refund of baliff charges once the process is completed? What are the steps to follow to assure this?
Unfortunately I find currently you have provided no additional information in addition to what I am currently undergoing and pursuing. Is there any additional, positive information you can provide?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).