Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

i received notice of intended prosecution for failing to comply

i received notice of intended prosecution for failing to comply with red traffic light signal. i had sp30 16 months ago. 3 points on my license. Will i get 3 points again or it could be more ? any way of avoiding points ?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What speed were you doing and what was the speed limit?

I'm sorry, that should have gone upon another post. This is a red light offence.
If you give me 10 mins I'll type out an answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats ok, thank you very much

Sorry for the confusion.

If this is a red light offence then that only carries 3 points and a fine.

If you travelled through a light a very long time after the lights turned red they could charge you with driving without due care but its not common.

There is a red light awareness course that you can do in some areas in lieu of the points but that would be a good result since you do have three live points on your licence.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX please tell me how can i take the test and where do i need to apply for this? do i still have to respond to the letter i have received today?

You don't apply. The police offer it to you or not as they choose.

You do need to respond to the S172 form naming the driver. Then they will write back offering you the fixed penalty or the red light awareness course if they deem it appropriate and its available in the area.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it possible to get more than 3 points in my case ? or is it fixed penalty ?

Not unless they are going to charge you with driving without due care which is unlikely.