Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

! am 67 years old and have had an unendorsed licence for 50

! am 67 years old and have had an unendorsed licence for 50 years.

What is the total weight of a vehicle and trailer I am allowed to drive.
I have a Motor Home Max Laden Weight 6250kg how heavy can my trailer be?
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.
Please bear with me today because I will be online and off-line.
As you passed your test some while ago, you can tow a trailer without any additional categories you need to make sure that those categories are shown on your licence.
As your towing vehicle is over 3500 kg gross can tow a trailer a maximum of 12 m excluding the drawbar and coupling provided it has four wheels. The overall length of trailer and towing vehicle was not be more than 18 m.
You can tow a trailer with a gross weight of 750 kg or under if it has no breaks.
It has brakes it is a maximum 3500 kg gross weight.
However the towing vehicle manufacturer specifies a maximum weight which can be towed and regardless of the above, that must not be exceeded.
Does that answer the question? Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

However, I have now discovered that the Max Gross vehicle weight is 6250kg.

Tthe trailer will have a total weight of just under2500kg. It is 6.25mtrs long excluding tow bar

The vehicle has a total allowable inc trailer weight of 9000kg.

the trailer only has two wheels, a single axle.

Am I out of luck?

Sorry to have such a complicated question

What is the gross axle weight rating of the trailer? This is specified by the manufacturer.
I wouldn’t want to tow a trailer of 2 ½ t with a single axle. Although it is not a legal requirement, the generally accepted limit for a single axle trailer, from all the trailer manufacturers, is one and a half tonnes