Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, A few days a go I went to the airport to drop my mother

A few days a go I went to the airport to drop my mother in. I've stopped my car at the drop off point and whet with her to get a well char, I've stayed with her for about 3h, and the car was left at the drop off point. When I got out, the police issued me a traffic offence of: No Waiting, with a Traffic offence code of 482.

Regarding this events, what is usually the process and what may happen to me?

Thaks
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Which airport is this?

Was this an officer in uniform?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

It was the Manchester Airport, and Yes it was a uniform officer.

Thanks

Its rather surprising it was an officer in uniform. Generally speaking these fines are issued by private land contractors.

There's no reason that they cannot but its unusual.

What you've been offered is a fixed penalty fine. If you pay that it will disappear. If you contest it then it will potentially lead to a summons to court. They do forget to summons sometimes but obviously you cannot rely on that.

At Court the worst that will happen is a fine. They cannot add points for a no waiting offence. But the risk is costs. If you contest it and lose then you could pay costs of £400 - £600.

If this is a pick up and drop off point at the closest point to the airport then a three hour wait would exceed the allowed time. Normally you are able to stay there long enough to let your passenger alight or disembark.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand the reason and the fee I will have to pay, according to the officer it was a national secularity issue. Does it affect the present process?

Thanks

I can see that airports are a security target but they are not likely to charge you with a terrorism offence for waiting at a drop off point and if they do I would love to see them get a conviction upon that!