Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I received PCN from the Council today which states that I have

I received PCN from the Council today which states that I have to pay it "following an alleged traffic contravention: Performing a prohibited turn (no U turn)." The alleged contravention happened at 20.42pm.

The U turn was was performed on a main rd in London. I stopped the car which was on the left to turn it in the other direction, as I did not want to continue to drive north bound and my destination was in fact south bound. The rd is a main rd called Southampton Row in London near Holborn. The rd has broXXXXX XXXXX lines when I drove to the other side by U turn maneovre. There is no U turn sign prohibiting me. The PCN does not state which rule I contravened. I thought it was prohibited to do a U turn on a main rd provided there are no signs prohibiting you. Cab drivers do U turns all the time.

The U turn was perf
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did I perform a prohibited U turn, when is a U turn prohibited (is this supported by any codes or rules) and should I pay the Penalty Charge Notice or challenge it in this case?

Forgot to mention that I viewed the still pictures of the situation and I clearly was not obstructing traffic or put anyone in danger

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, you are probably the best person to say whether you performed a U turn?

Did you turn your vehicle in one sweeping motion in the other direction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. But black cab drivers do that all the time. The road is very wide so that was why I was able to turn the car that way. I turned the car around so that I could go down Theobald Rd -a left turn down that rd off Southampton Row

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Then you did perform a U turn.

Whether or not it was prohibited there comes down to the Traffic Management Order which you can obtain from the Council.

They still have to advertise any prohibition so that the reasonably observant motorist can tell upon inspection what he should or should not do.

A broXXXXX XXXXX line does not prohibit U turns. A solid white line prohibits any form of crossing whether for U turns or overtaking purposes.

To enforce this they will need to show that they did erect no U turn signs at the location in question.

There's no defence though in saying that other drivers perform U turns there and you should bear that in mind.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if there is no U turn sign prohibiting me on that particular road when I performed the U turn, how would I know not to do it?

There is a NO U turn sign opposite Holborn station but that is on Kingsway only. Am sure they cannot rely upon that as the sign refers to an immediate turning on that rd.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.