Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Does an NiP have to contained the details of the offence, ie

Customer Question

Does an NiP have to contained the details of the offence, ie the alleged speed the vehicle was travelling at?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay overnight.

Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been sent a NiP, I can't see any indication on it of the speed that the vehicle was allegedly travelling at, I would like confirmation of whether or not the NiP should contain details of the alleged offence including the speed.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry if this is bad news but there's no obligation to disclose the speed.

All that is required is that you are warned of the intended prosecution of a particular offence on a particular date.

The s172 requirement form demands that you are given sufficient detail to enable you reasonably to identify the driver - the date, time, location and index number of the car.

They do not have to tell you the speed. In some cases, such as speeding prosecutions that rely upon the observation of a police officer alone, a specific speed cannot be asserted.

I'm very sorry if this is not the answer that you wanted but I have to give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?