Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I received a notice of distress 3 may this year and contacted

I received a notice of distress 3 may this year and contacted the company and it was for a fine of a car I sold the fine is £1016.So I called the dvla and explained anyway I went to court and got a stat dec that I sent to all parties and a signed letter form the current owner stating that he owned the car when the fine occurred.I now today received another letter from the debt recovery company saying I need to contact the court as it has been returned pending further action! I have tried to contact the court but no one ever answers the phone! and who do I speak to at the courts when I finally get hold of them?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Sorry but what type of debt is this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

keep a vehicle without a valid vehicle licence

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't an offence of keeping a vehicle without a valid licence.

There is an offence of driving without a licence or keeping a vehicle without insurance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

for jomo1972

I think they mean road tax

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Do you still have the stat dec?

When did you go to court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I have a copy of the stat dec and I went to court on 16/05/13 I sent copies of everything I have to collectica and the dvla who have confirmed that the are satisfied I was not the owner when the offence occurred,i have contacted collectica today but they are not interested and very unhelpfull.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

That actually isn't as bad as it sounds then. There is no point in contacting the court. You have the stat dec documents and they cannot add more than that.

It would be more productive to contact the DVLA with this information. Most likely its just that there has been a miscommunication between the DVLA and the debt collectors. If the stat dec remains in force then they cannot lawfully enforce this.

Of course, that doesn't mean they will not try to do so. The DVLA is a public body and characteristically inefficient. But if they do then you would be able to recover anything you have to pay.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you I will contact the dvla direct with the corrospodance from collectica.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You might as well copy the debt collection company in on any correspondence but this is probably just that they don't know about the stat dec even though there is no excuse for not knowning
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.