Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Just received a NIP for doing 95mph on a 70mph road on a clear

Just received a NIP for doing 95mph on a 70mph road on a clear bright sunny morning at 6.30am in a Maserati. Clean licence aged 47 need car for work - how bad a hole might I be in?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Whats the date of the contravention please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

12/7/2013 NIP recd 17/7/2013

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was the A7 in Sussex if that helps

I just need 10 mins to type out an answer if thats ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - am patient!

Thanks for the time.

You are actually not really in serious trouble.

If you were doing 95 mph in a 70 mph zone then you are facing either 4-6 points or a ban for 7- 28 days.

You are right in the middle of the sentencing bracket and there is no particular aggravation here so they are not going to ban you realistically.

I would expect 4-5 points.

You have been driving for more than 2 years so you will not be revoked under the new drivers scheme. You are nowhere near the 12 points required to be banned for totting.

There will be a fine of 75-125% of your weekly income unfortunately and a costs order of £85. Sadly you will have to pay this stupid victim surcharge that should be banned as a matter of urgency but that will only be around £35.

Can i give you any more information?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Final question

Will I have to attend court and if so should I attend?
You can plead by post but they will probably invite you to attend for consideration of disqualification. Whether you should attend is always a difficult question that depends on factors specific to your case.

Certainly a person who attends smartly dressed, behaves respectfully XXXXX XXXXX to the Magistrates makes a good impression and is well served by attending.

A person who attends and is rude to the Magistrates will not. In fairness, some Magistrates are absolutely vile and do deserve rudeness but that doesn't change the fact that they will decide the outcome of a person's case. Such a person would have been better staying away.