Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I had a parking fine from Parkingeye Ltd from nov 2012 and

I had a parking fine from Parkingeye Ltd from nov 2012 and I ignored it. They have now sent me a letter from County court bulk centre Northampton, saying I have to pay £75 fine, £15 court fee £50 Solicitors fee. is this legal. The car is owened by my husbands company (not personaly owned) and I was driving. Do I have to pay ?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What was the date of the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

november 2012

This is a private land fine. They are not parking fines whatever they may look like. I realise that many of them mimic those issued by the council or the police but they do not have the same authority.
A private land firm is not an emanation of the state. It does not have the right to punish you for the manner of your parking any more than your neighbours do.
This is essentially an invoice arising from a civil dispute. They say that you accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long or otherwise parking at variance with the contract.
Private land fines used to be very easy to escape by refusing the details of the driver. They only have a contract with the driver. Unfortunately the Protection of Freedoms Act came into force in October 2012 and it makes the registered keeper liable for the penalty if he does not disclose the details of the driver within 28 days.
All that means is that the claim runs against the registered keeper. It just makes it easier to find the person against whom there should be enforcement.
The chances are high that they will not sue. Even though the law has recently changed in their favour and they were quite aggressive in the beginning, they do not sue in the majority of cases.
If they do sue then they would only have a claim for the sum of the original fine plus about £35 in costs. They will send you debt collection letters in which they will threaten to sue you for their debt collection costs. Do not be intimidated by that. They have no claim for that.
Even if they do go to court, they would still have to prove that the signs are adequate and clear. Quite often they are not.
Also, they will have to prove that they have suffered loss. They may be able to claim a very small amount in administration costs but it is going to be the sum they are trying to claim from you. Their loss would seem to amount to no more than about £5.
They will send you some very nasty letters though. You will get debt collection letters making threats of legal action. They will probably get Graham Whyte solicitors to write to you as well. None of these are anything to worry about. It will not impact upon your credit history and it will not add to the costs.
Unless you actually get a court summons, none of these correspondences have any legal basis. If you do get a court summons then you can always part admit the claim and offer £5 for their loss.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info. The claim for from the county court says I have 14 days to reply. Should I reply or just carry on ignoring ?

Is that actually from the county court?

Do it refer to a previous judgment or is a claim form asking for your defence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think its asking for my defence, the second page is a response pack, 3rd page admission,4th page is defence and counterclaim.

sorry to sound thick, it's just legal stuff worries me, specially as it's my husbands business !

Thats a claim then.

Surprising they are bothering to sue. I suppose they have become more aggressive recently.

You must reply to that.

As I said above, you can defend on the basis of there being no loss and putting them to prove on the adequacy of signs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this mean I will have to pay the court and solicitors fee

Only if you lose in court.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Seeing i was in the car park for an extra 15 mins I don't think I can realy win. If I offer to pay now will I be able to get away with just the fine and not the other 2 fees ?

No, you will still be liable for court fees if they have issued

You can offer a lesser sum and they may accept

As I said above though, you might well win in court