Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I have received a PCNB Debt Recovery notice for a £90 parking

I have received a PCNB Debt Recovery notice for a £90 parking fine dated Sunday 21st April 2013, and issued on 8 July 2013.

There was no notice on the vehicle when returing to it on a Sunday - completely out of the blue - £1.00 for parking all day on a Sunday which I'm sure was displayed, although from so long ago, I dont honestly remember.

How can they demand overdue when I wasnt even aware that there was a fine in the first instance.

What shall I do?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Are you saying this is not the first notice that was sent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morning Jo

This letter in the snail mail was the first time I knew of any kind of parking fine - nothing on the car and nothing previously notified.

They are probably saying that this has been issued by CCTV then.
This is a private land fine. They are not parking fines whatever they may look like. I realise that many of them mimic those issued by the council or the police but they do not have the same authority.
A private land firm is not an emanation of the state. It does not have the right to punish you for the manner of your parking any more than your neighbours do.
This is essentially an invoice arising from a civil dispute. They say that you accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long or otherwise parking at variance with the contract.
Private land fines used to be very easy to escape by refusing the details of the driver. They only have a contract with the driver. Unfortunately the Protection of Freedoms Act came into force in October 2012 and it makes the registered keeper liable for the penalty if he does not disclose the details of the driver within 28 days.
All that means is that the claim runs against the registered keeper. It just makes it easier to find the person against whom there should be enforcement.
The chances are high that they will not sue. Even though the law has recently changed in their favour and they were quite aggressive in the beginning, they do not sue in the majority of cases.
If they do sue then they would only have a claim for the sum of the original fine plus about £35 in costs. They will send you debt collection letters in which they will threaten to sue you for their debt collection costs. Do not be intimidated by that. They have no claim for that.
Even if they do go to court, they would still have to prove that the signs are adequate and clear. Quite often they are not.
Also, they will have to prove that they have suffered loss. They may be able to claim a very small amount in administration costs but it is going to be the sum they are trying to claim from you. Their loss would seem to amount to no more than about £5.
They will send you some very nasty letters though. You will get debt collection letters making threats of legal action. They will probably get Graham Whyte solicitors to write to you as well. None of these are anything to worry about. It will not impact upon your credit history and it will not add to the costs.
Unless you actually get a court summons, none of these correspondences have any legal basis. If you do get a court summons then you can always part admit the claim and offer £5 for their loss.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jo for your help

Kind regards

No problem. All the best.