Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I was doing 70mph in a variable speed limit of 40mph and have

I was doing 70mph in a variable speed limit of 40mph and have been summoned to driving license is clean can I plead guilty in my absence and what can I expect?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How long have you had your licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I have had my license for 6 years

If you were doing 70 mph in a 40 mph zone then you are facing either 6 points or a ban of between 7-56 days.

Although the court will consider a ban realistically you are likely to get points. You are in the middle of the sentencing bracket, a 40 mph zone tends not to contain vulnerable road users in significant numbers and there is no other aggravation here.

Since you have been driving more than two years you will not face revocation under the new drivers scheme.

There will also be a fine proportionate to your means but between 75-125% of your weekly income.

Also there will be costs of £85 and the victim surcharge of £35 unfortunately.

Can I clarify anything for you ?