Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

my car has been impounded because the police had reason to

Customer Question

my car has been impounded because the police had reason to believe i lied on my date of birth for my car insurance. This is the 1st ive heard of this, i checked my insurance and my date of birth is somehow diffrent. I must of made a mistake. i took out a 7 day tempcover policy. i found out the details were incorrect on the 2nd day. was the police right in taking my car
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Do the insurance company say this invalidated your insurance ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im not sure because in my policy it sais i have to disclose it as soon as im aware. but when i called and asked they told me its invalid

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Did they say it was connected to the date of birth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just spoke to my insurance and they told they would not cover due to it was my own fault making that date of birth error. However the police didnt call them at the time of the incident to check if my date of birth was correct or not, they just impounded it on suspicion due to raciscm i think. What can i do

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I had thought your insurance company would dishonour any claim but thats different to not being insured. It depends whether the police are alleging that this invalidates your insurance completely. If so, they were entitled to impound

They will release the car if you organise insurance but they will probably give you a fine for no insirance. If you want to contest that then you will have to refuse it and take the matter to court. To do so successfully you are going to have to show that despite this you were insured which in the light of the comments of your insurers today will not be easy Im afraid.

I am sorry but I have to give you truthful I formation.

Can I clarify anything?