Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi Max, I stupidly failed to send my licence to DVLA within

Hi Max,

I stupidly failed to send my licence to DVLA within 28 days for first endorsement. I sent it recorded 3 days ago and one week late. I came home from work tonight to a letter posted on 23/6 stating it has been revoked and I need to reapply. I'm in serious trouble with my employer if I have no licence Monday morning. How long will it take to be road legal again? Thanks in advance
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I will be able to help with this as its my area of law.

All thats happened is that your licence has been revoked administratively. You just need to reapply for it. It will not be refused.

Unfortunately though the DVLA are not fast movers as you know. Even if the post is swift and the application reaches its target in the DVLA quickly I have generally found it takes one month or thereabouts.

It may be worth calling the DVLA on Monday and trying to negotiate with them.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Can I help further?

Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Hi Jo,

If I explain my daft oversight, beg them Monday morning and pay the £50 reapplication fee, could it mean I still cannot drive for up to a month? I will lose my job under statutory ban rule in Emp Law. I'm panicking now. Thanks, Martin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Hi Jo,

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is always worth trying to negotiate. With technical oversights like this where they are going to allow you to drive again at some point, it might be that they can cut through red tape.

The DVLA are a public body and generally speaking public bodies are not much interested in efficiency so I would brace yourself for the answer that they cannot remove it.

If it does come to that though, you can send it next day delivery. Then call them daily until they process it. Its amazing how effective that is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll call first thing and pray I get a human. My concern is the letter I received tonight was dated the 23/6.

Last questions Jo, do I have to wait until I receive a letter before I can drive again or do they reinstate any sooner?

When negotiating, how often are people successful in having it reinstated quickly? They must realise if some forgetful first offender doesn't reply in a timely manner, revoking a licence for 30 days can mean unemployment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Was satisfied with Jo's answer, looking for more info as anxious
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I did respond to this. I don't know why it didn't upload.

You can drive from the date of reinstatement rather than the date upon which you receive the letter.

Its fair to say that if its been revoked then its not likely that they will reverse the revocation but i would suggest trying anyway as that doesn't mean it won't.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.