Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi I have been caught (allegedly) on camera on the A3 doing

I have been caught (allegedly) on camera on the A3 doing 104mph, by Surrey Police. Conditions were dry and sunny. I have received a 'NIP' via the post. 47 years old family man currently with 3 points (2-3 years ago issued). Prior to that, SP30 once in my life.
Occupation is a small business owner, salary circa £45k pa. Hoping to sell business and go back to building work for which I can't do without transport.

What do you think the outcome might be when I attend court and plea guilty?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you charged with speeding or dangerous driving please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Speeding. 'An alleged offence of Exceed 70mph dual carriageway'.

Can I presume you don't deny the allegation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't deny the allegation, although I was not stopped at the time so I assume it was perhaps via a static camera. The first I knew was when I received the 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' in the post.

Yes, it could be a GATSO.

The truth is that it depends how much risk you want to take. Its always possible to put the Crown to proof. GATSOs are hard to challenge though and even with laser guns the chances of success are fairly low. Obviously sometimes people have no option.

If this is a 104 mph matter in a 70 mph zone though you are facing either 6 points or a disqualification of between 7-56 days.

Since this is at the lower end of the sentencing bracket with no particular other aggravation the practical reality is that they are going to give you 6 points. With your other points you will have 9 which doesn't render you liable to disqualification for totting.

There will also be a financial penalty of between 75-125% of your weekly income, costs of £85 plus the victim surcharge of about £35.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose the only other question to you is whether or not you think in your experience that there may be any real benefit to me paying to hire a solicitor to assist in court? I am well educated, happy to speak for myself and believe I portray myself well.

To be wholly honest, not here.

The first point to make is that you'll find a barrister under public access much cheaper than a solicitor anyway.

But with speeding offences there are certain brackets of sentencing and there isn't that much room for variation. There is nothing really to negotiate with the Crown here and you are not at risk of revocation or totting so there is no risk of having to argue law. Its just a matter of attending and saying how sorry you are and thats something you can do yourself.