Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Hi good morning, what is your understanding of the effect

Hi good morning,
what is your understanding of the effect of the local authority switching off street lights to save money etc, and restricted roads as defined by sec 82 rtra. do the lights have to be lit through the hours of darkness for the 30 limit to be enforceable, or as during the daylight hours the mere presence of the lighting system is enough
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Are you trying to escape speeding ticket? Can we have full background please? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I'm not trying to escape a speeding ticket, I normally give them out !!

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Eek...

My understanding is that it is the system of street lighting that is the criteria, not whether the system is defective or in operation or switched on or off. It would be ridiculous for people to be able to speed in the dark with impunity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my understanding too, but the law was written before austerity and the legislators would never have foreseen street lights being switched of, or some peoples interpretation of what it means

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I accept
that but even assuming it was meant for the streetlights to be switched on
(bearing in mind that the legislation does not mention the light being
illuminated) how many would need to be switched off before the speed limit no
longer applied.

All of
them, every other one, one in the street, one in the whole road, one in the
town?

There could
end up, the situation, where an errant speeder scours the whole time looking for
a light that was switched off.

On the
other side of the coin if it was meant that the lights were to be illuminated,
suppose one of them on the other side of town was indeed illuminated.

This is in
danger of becoming a legal debate!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it already is, and I have already pointed out that sec 82 makes no reference to the light being lit, or we would have them lit during the day. Some others have a bee in their bonnet over this and are over complicating it but as you agree with me I like your answer, which just proves I'm fickle, or correct or both

many thanks

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

If ever you see me, old Blue Merc Estate, speeding...please just wave.

They cannot interpret the law as they like or add things in. It has to be interpreted as written. No doubt Nick Freeman will try it on one day.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice