Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I was in town looking for a parking space, but all I could

Customer Question

Hi, I was in town looking for a parking space, but all I could see were spaces marked loading only in white paint on the road. Not wishing to park illegally, I kept driving until I saw a parking space without the loading only mark, and parked my car. When I returned from shopping I saw a ticket on the windscreen which stated that I had parked in a disabled parking zone. I looked under the car and along the pavement edge and edge of the parking area, and could see no disabled zone indications. I was addressed by the driver of the car parked behind me, who was disabled, and he indicated a sign on a post that was flat against the building and therefore very inconspicuous. When I stated how difficult to see it was, the disabled driver agreed, and said that that was how the council made their money. I find it hard to disagree with him!! Was the parking area insufficiently marked, as we both felt it was?? I would never park in a disabled area, unless with my sister who is disabled.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Can I dispute the penalty?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
So, in short, there was a sign but there were no road markings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was a sign that was so close to the wall as to be almost invisible and no road markings. I have just looked on Google Street View and all these areas now appear to be marked as Loading Only areas.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me links to the relevant regulations please?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What legislation are you looking for?

Why do you think there is a need for legislation ? Parking adjudications are informal appeals that will just be irritated if you quote extensive statutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought that as you state that both road signs and road markings must be visible that it would be appropriate to refer to the relevant legislation.

As I didn't pay the reduced fine in time, the Notice to Owner was sent to my father, to whom the car is registered. I assume that I am still liable as the driver? My father is deceased.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But he is dead!!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Who is the registered keeper now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is. I forgot to get it changed.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does he have anything to leave please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His estate was divided between the family.

What would happen if I changed the registered keeper to me? Would they then pursue me?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So what happens if the registered keeper is left as my dead father?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Has the car been registered to you?

Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car is still registered to my dead father

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I clicked on the answer button too early.

I see you are displeased with my answer so I'll opt out for others.