Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

My son has breeched his bail conditions and wants to surrender

My son has breeched his bail conditions and wants to surrender to the police. The police are refusing to arrest him today as there is no court available. How does my son stand if he goes to the station and surrenders. Can they just turn him away?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How has he breached his bail conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had direct contact with his ex partner. He went to see his child as he was concerned for the child. His Charge is one of crinimal damage below the sum of £5000. In fact the cost of repairs was £55. Needless to say the condition breeched was the one of not having direct or indirect contact. This is his first offence.

Ok, why does he want to hand himself in today? He is amazingly lucky that they didn't arrest him

Why does he want to hand himself in at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because they were looking to arrest him and contacted him requesting him to go in today which he agreed to do.The police then called him back saying that they will arrest him tomorrow as there is no court sitting until Monday.

It all sounds a little odd I know but my son would like to just get on and face things.

No, I do understand. He would rather have it over with but there is just no point in arresting him today. They will just keep him in until the next sitting court which will be Monday.

I would actually normally have suggesting handing himself in at court not the police station but if he's negotiated an appointment the he should really attend.

They can refuse to arrest him. They wouldn't normally. The fact that they have tends to suggest that they don't think the allegation is particularly serious.

Nobody should ever be handing themselves in for a breach of court bail on a Saturday afternoon.

CAn I help further?