Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Hello, I have just been stopped and was told I was speeding

I have just been stopped and was told I was speeding at 51mph in a 30mph zone. The officer has now said I will be issued a summons. After this he let me go.
I'm concerned as this is my first speeding office in 20 years of driving (I have only been driving 20 years). Can you advise please as I drive for a living and need my licence.

Thank you

Max Lowry :

Hi welcome to Just Answer.

Max Lowry :

Is there any reason that he said you would receive a summons? Did he mention fixed penalty?

Customer:

I think he said he could not issue points as I was driving at 51 mph in a 30mph zone. No mention of points

Max Lowry :

Okay. And you're worried about being disqualified?

Customer:

Yes very as I depend on my licence to work. I currently drive 250 miles a day 3 days a week (750 total) and work from home 2 days a week on average. If I have no licence I will not be able to work.

Max Lowry :

Okay. I don't think you need to worry about a ban. This is a first offence in 20 years, and you were speeding perhaps a little more than average, but I would imagine you're in for a fine and 6 points at the most.

Max Lowry :

I don't think you need worry about disqualification.

Customer:

Ok thank you for this. I'm a little worried now as I don't know what happens do I need to hire a solicitor? as I'm reading things like "tick a box for guilty and send a letter?" could you advise please.

Max Lowry :

No, you don't need to hire a solicitor.

Max Lowry :

Wait for something to come from the police. If you get a summons to attend Court, then you could use a lawyer if you wanted to, but I don't think there is a real risk of you actually being disqualified.

Customer:

If I get a summons to court, what would in your professional opinion benefit more - Attend court in person? , or submit via post?

Customer:

Hello any advice on my last post?

Max Lowry :

Always good to appear in person, apologise and regret it etc.

Max Lowry :

Creates a better impression in my view.

Customer:

Ok thank you Max its much appreciated.

Max Lowry :

Thank you - please rate my answer as highly as you can for me.