Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was caught driving with a revoked licence not knowing it

I was caught driving with a revoked licence not knowing it to have been revoked which then made my insurance invalid...what is likely to happen?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Why was it revoked please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Failure to produce paper licence for points to be added

Thanks.

Do you know how long ago it was revoked roughly?

Normally they do write and tell people. Did you not receive anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When i spoke to the DVLA they said it was revoked in 2011, they may have written but i have not read or seen anything i was in the middle of a marriage break up

Thanks.

They could prosecute you for no insurance and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence. Driving without insurance carries 6 points and no licence carries 3 but since the offences were committed at the same time they would not both be operational on your licence. So both sets of points would show on your licence but you would only have 6. Also, there will be £85 in court costs and the victim surcharge of £20. There would also be a fine proportionate to your means.

You could ask them not to endorse your licence with points on the basis that there are special reasons not to do so. If you were revoked in 2011 then it might be harder to argue that to be wholly honest. It depends whether they accept that you didn't receive notification from the DVLA. You can always argue these things as if it were your intention to drive uninsured you probably wouldn't have paid for insurance.

You can always write to CPS making representations that the prosecution of you is not in the public interest. Sometimes they will drop revocation issues although for the most part those cases do involve recent revocations.

Can I help further?

Jo