Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Just reading an article titled (I passed my motorcycle test

Just reading an article titled (I passed my motorcycle test sent off the forms to the DVLA) to which you have responded.
My circumstances are very similar, I passed my motorcycle test in 1990.
I continued riding for some years and then stopped.
I now have no entitlement to ride on my licence.
On contacting the DVLA,they have full record of me passing the test and confirm this over the phone, however they claim I never sent in the pass certificate.
This was not the case as I sent in the certificate only to have I sent back, reason being they wanted a £5 admin charge to process.
They claim I may be entitled to my licence if I can prove the £5 transaction took place.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible to get DVLA to reinstate my Licence

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972
Is it possible to get my licence reinstated
Thanks.

When did you last ride roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972
Around mid 1990s

Thanks for the information. Too late to prove this by insurance now then.

This is actually quite commonplace. The DVLA have a habit of 'losing' people's entitlements that has been increasing recently.

You will find a very interesting series of letters on the point here

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/removal_of_entitlements_and_lack

I know the DVLA are telling people they delete after 10 years. That should be completely impossible. Everything should be computerised at the DVLA and back up on a microfiche which should not ever be destroyed. Of course, that is an optimistic expectation. Sometimes the DVLA are jobsworths.

The place to start though is to send them a subject access request for any information they hold upon you. They should check the microfiche which might well resolve the matter. It may just be that the computers haven't been properly updated.

Realistically if you took your test in the 90s then the test centre is not likely to have a record now but its always worth checking.

It is also possible to appeal any decision of the DVLA to the local Magistrates Court which might assist you although its worth trying the options above first as they are free.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo